Thursday 28 January 2010

CHICKEN KURMA


Today I made kurma for the first time using dried coconut. It was different and quite delicious. This recipe is ideal for those not so keen on hot curries and prefer it mild.
Over the years I learnt and tried so many curry recipes, also learned to use whole spices and grind my own at home which makes a big difference in taste, I found. If I am using ready packed ground spices, I always dry fry them for a minute or two, just to freshen them up before adding the spices to the pan.
Today I started by preparing the COCONUT MILK for the curry. For this, I used 1 cup of desiccated coconut and 2 cups of hot water, mix and let it sit for 30 minutes then liquidise in a blender, then strain the coconut milk. Set aside.
Next prepare the CURRY PASTE.
  • 3 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1 cm piece of fresh ginger
  • salt
  • 2-4 tbsp water
Place all above ingredients in a blender together with water to make a smooth paste. Set aside.

Next, CHICKEN THIGHS or chicken breasts. Wash and cut the extra fat from the pieces. I used 7 chicken thighs or you can use 4 - 6 chicken breasts.
Now, chop up 2 medium onions in a large frying pan with 2-4 tbs oil and fry until browned. Add the spice paste and saute for 5 minutes. Then add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 5-7 minutes. Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes and the coconut milk and more water to the pan if necessary to cover the chicken pieces. Bring it to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Mix it occasionally so it won't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add some more water if needed.
Add chopped coriander just before serving.


No comments: